Thursday, July 7, 2011

First Day of Class -July 7.

My bedroom

Bsthroom Minus shower head!

Dining Room

House Exterior

Me And Abbas in front of the house and gate
4 am.  Well, I am learning that adjusting to the time change here may take me a while. I fell asleep for an hour and now I am wide awake. Tonight-sleeping pills. Part of the problem is the power goes out at least every hour or so and when everything comes back on there are all these little beeps and whirrs. It usually only takes 5-10 minutes for the generator to kick in and you get used to it during the day.  Just sort of throws you at night.

Today was my to be my first official day with the students and I really didn't feel that great when I woke up. The shower is still out, the hot water doesn't seem to understand there should be some variance, and I have to periodically squeegey where the water is coming out so it doesn't go all over.  Tomorrow the shower should be fixed. In the meantime, a bucket is looking good.  At breakfast I was too tired to eat and I think Sayed thought I didn't like his cooking, but I just didn't feel great.  Fortunately, classes didn't start until 12 so I had some time to get up to speed.  Once I start teaching I am usually fine.

I heard from Fulbright today and it doesn't look like I will be able to go to Islamabad to help interview this summer.  They had to push their interview dates back to August and I intend to leave at the end of the month.  Oh well, another time.

It looks like this is going to be a good group of students. The original room was too warm so we moved next door. It's a little smaller but nice and cool. I have an assistant named Sakunthala (nickname  Saku). She is a whiz and such a help. On top of that I have 2 (count em) IT gentlemen who are always on call in the room next door. Every afternoon the cafeteria manager brings in tea and we have tea time.   I could get really spoiled!  Some of my students said they were shy but when they get in groups-no they are not!  A couple told me they were worried their English was not up to par.  I told them not to worry because my Urdu is not even sub par.  I have a web site and I have got to learn some words.  I know hello, how are you, thank you and ok.  Large vocabulary!

We had lunch at school and the cafeteria manager does such a good job. Chicken curry and a delicious naan.  We eat a ton of chicken, dal, rice, fruit and bread.  I haven't been that hungry as the heat gets to me a bit, but I do eat something at every meal...just not much. Even then, I feel too full.  One of my students invited me to a traditional wedding (they last 3 days) tomorrow night so I will get to see one of the events. Today after class Maryam asked me to come over but I really needed some sleep.  I came home, laid down in my clothes and conked out for an hour.

I had my first Geiko experience today. Thank God, Sarah warned me about this.  Little bugger came tearing across the floor and straight up the wall. They are not big (about 2 inches and very narrow). I couldn't decide whether to try to take a picture or swat him. I started thinking about what would happen if I woke up in the middle of the night and found him on my nose, so the geiko is no more (and there is no picture).

Here are some pictures of the house, and the students.  Tonight I am going to do nothing but concentrate on trying to get at least 6 hours of sleep!

This is one of my students Rohma. I am going to the wedding with her.

Our new classroom

No comments:

Post a Comment